Canada’s winter can be harsh on your skin. The weather will change the appearance of your skin from smooth to dry and irritated. Anything with moisture will become your best friend. For instance, choose soaps with a lot of moisture such as Dove and steer away from products that contain high levels of fragrance/perfume and alcohol (Which can strip away natural oils).
Additional tips include:
• Avoid long, hot showers (I know it’s tempting especially during the Winter). Hot showers tend to wash away the natural oils in your skin.
• Apply moisturizer after you come out the shower - this is the best time for your skin to absorb the moisture.
• Apply moisturizer at night especially on areas such as your feet. Wearing socks after applying moisturizer will seal in the moisture until the morning.
• Use light, irritant-free products especially if you have sensitive skin.
• Lastly, keep hydrated. Eat foods that are high in water such as cucumbers and watermelon as well as drink water throughout the day.
Products that will protect your skin include:
• Natural oils such as, argan, coconut or almond oil which can be found at various health stores in Toronto including, Healthy Planet. Price range: ($7-$15 depending on oil and size of bottle). These oils can be used on your face, body and even lips. Tip: Do a patch test to make sure you are not allergic to any of the oils.
• Vitamin E Intense Moisture line from The Body Shop. Includes, gentle facial and body wash, lotion, eye cream, night cream all starting at $6.00.
• Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for sensitive skin. Price range: $10+.
Everyone’s skin is different. Therefore it’s essential to find the product that works for you. Protect your skin from the harsh, winter conditions by moisturizing your skin on a daily basis. Glowing skin is always in.